Spicy Kale Salad

I am always on the look out for new salad recipes.  I am not a huge spicy fan and I was a little hesitant to try this one but I am so glad I did.  My husband and I love it and I can honestly say it isn't very spicy.  I will usually make it for us a couple of times a week.  I don't know if I will every really get sick of it!  It takes a lot for a salad without chicken or eggs on it to really fill me up but this one does the trick.  I seriously can not get enough of the dressing.  It is so ridiculously good!  I usually make a double batch so I can over load my salad with it.  No guilt either since it's all very healthy!

Ingredients:

For the Thai Spiced Cashews:

  • 1/2 cup raw cashews, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon avocado oil (or olive oil)
  • 1 teaspoon maple syrup
  • 1 teaspoon tamari (gluten-free soy sauce) I use coconut aminos
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon cumin
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon paprika
  • pinch of cayenne pepper


  • For the Dressing:

  • 2 tablespoons almond butter
  • 1 tablespoon maple syrup
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 tablespoon cilantro
  • 1 tablespoon lime juice
  • 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
  • 1/4 teaspoon sesame oil
  • 1 teaspoon coconut aminos or gfree soy sauce
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • pinch of cayenne
  • 1/3 cup olive oil

  • For the salad:

  • 1 bunch kale, stems removed and sliced very thinly
  • 1 lime
  • 1/2-1 cup green cabbage, chopped
  • 2 carrots, peeled into ribbons
  • 1/2 a red pepper, thinly sliced
  • 1/2 a yellow pepper, thinly sliced
  • 2 scallions, thinly sliced
  • 1/2 cup cilanto, chopped
  • 1 cup edamame, defrosted if frozen (optional- I have actually never put edamame on it)

  • Instructions:

    For the Cashews:
    1. Preheat the oven to 350F. On a small baking sheet, toss the cashews with all the ingredients. Bake for 10 minutes, stirring once while baking. Cool.
    For the Dressing:
    1. Place all the ingredients except the olive oil in a small food processor or blender. Process until smooth. With the food processor running, slowly add the olive oil. Season to taste with more salt/cayenne if needed.
    2. To prepare the kale, place the chopped kale in a bowl. Squeeze the lime juice over the kale and add a sprinkle of salt. Massage the kale until it starts to darken and soften. Add the remaining salad ingredients and toss with the dressing. Enjoy!

    Comments

    Popular Posts