Apple Cider Donuts

The funny story behind these donuts is that I have attempted to make them in the past and they tasted so gross. I just couldnt understand how they turned out so bad. In the beginning of our food changes, most things I made tasted this disgusting!  But it is a very rare occurence now so I was quite confused. I kept seeing this recipe and was determined to give it another shot even though I was nervous of wasting precious ingredients again.  Before I even started baking, I realized what I had done wrong.  I used apple cider vinegar instead of apple cider! Duh! Serious mistake and I highly recommend not repeating my mistake! So with apple cider in hand I started again and I am so happy I did.  These donuts are so good. 

Growing up in Michigan we frequented apple orchards every fall. The trip always ended with a cold glass of apple cider to wash down our cider donuts.  When we lived in the south and visited apple orchards we were so disappointed to find out they don't have donuts at the cider mill! Is that legal??? So this is a yearly tradition I can now duplicate at home and that is pretty dangerous!

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup coconut flour
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/8 tsp sea salt
  • 2 large eggs, at room temperature
  • 2 tbs coconut oil, melted
  • 2 tbs honey
  • 1/2 cup warm apple cider
Cinnamon Sugar Coating
  • 2 tbs ghee, melted coconut oil or butter
  • 1/2 cup coconut sugar
  • 1 tbs cinnamon
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. In a small bowl, whisk together the coconut flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
  3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, oil and honey.
  4. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until combined.
  5. Add the apple cider and mix until fully incorporated into the dough. 
  6. Allow the dough to rest for about 3 minutes to ensure the moisture is absorbed by the coconut flour.
  7. Bake in a prepared donut pan for 20 minutes.
  8. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for another 20 minutes before removing from the pan.
  9. Carefully remove the donuts from the pan.
  10. Brush the donuts with melted butter or coconut oil and then dip them into cinnamon sugar mixture until well coated.


Comments

Popular Posts