Paleo Caramel Macchiato

I couldn't even count how many caramel macchiato's I have purchased in my life time at starbucks.  It was hands down my favorite hot beverage.  I have definitely missed them and when I made this for the first time last week I was in shock. It tasted exactly how I remembered! Why had it taken so long to find a healthier recipe for this amazing drink?  I had recently discovered my love of salted caramel and it has been so easy to make and keep on hand.  I don't have the tool to froth milk at home but learned how to do it with a simple glass jar and a microwave.  You can use any kind of non-dairy milk in this drink and either very strong coffee or espresso.

Ingredients:

Salted Caramel Sauce:

  • 14 oz can full fat coconut milk
  • 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
  • 1/4 cup coconut sugar
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt

Caramel Macchiato:

  • 6 ounces strong-brewed coffee or 1 shot espresso
  • 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
  • 1 tbs salted caramel sauce plus more for topping

Instructions:

Salted Caramel
  1. Add the coconut milk, maple syrup and coconut sugar to a medium sized sauce pan and bring to a full boil.  Allow the mixture to boil, stirring frequently, until thickened, about 10 to 15 minutes.
  2. Add the vanilla extract and salt to the caramel mixture.  Stir until combined, then remove caramel from the heat.  You can use it right away or store in an air-tight container and refrigerate. Lasts 3-4 weeks.
Caramel Macchiato
  1. Heat the milk using a milk frother.  I didn't have one of these but you can add milk to a glass mason jar with a lid. Shake vigorously for 60 seconds. Remove lid and microwave for 30 seconds.
  2. Add 1 tbs of caramel to the bottom of the mug. Add the coffee or espresso and stir well until combined.
  3. Add the frothed milk.
  4. Drizzle additional caramel sauce on top.
  5. Enjoy!










Comments

Popular Posts