Healthy Caramel Popcorn




I realize that the title sounds impossible, right?  How in the world can caramel popcorn be healthy?  My family tradition growing up for Sunday night dinner was popcorn.  My mom makes the best caramel popcorn and I looked forward to having it every week.  My son also loves popcorn and would eat it everyday for a snack if I let him. By swapping out the refined sugars for maple syrup and coconut sugar it makes this treat taste like the real deal! I admit, I can't make this very often since it is truly addicting but it works as a wonderful special treat.


Ingredients:
  • 4 tbs unpopped popcorn
  • 1/4 cup coconut sugar
  • 1/4 cup raw honey or maple syrup
  • 1/4 tsp sea salt
  • 2 tbsp butter (optional)

Directions: 
  1. Pop the kernels, either on the stove or in an air-popper.
  2. In a small saucepan, combine the two sweetners and the butter if using.  On low, stir occasionally until the dry sweetener is completely dissolved.
  3. Pour this mixture over the popcorn and stir to coat.  Sprinkle on salt.




Comments

Popular Posts