Paleo cheese!

I will be the first to admit that when I first came across this recipe I wasn't so sure. Cheese made with cashews or macadamia nuts? You have to be kidding! I was pretty desperate for cheese that I decided to give it a try.  I tried this recipe first with almonds and wasn't really impressed. But I tried cashews next and was blown away! You can also use macadamia nuts which I  have heard is equally as good as cashews.  Nuts are so versatile since they don't have an over powering flavor. It makes a great cheese that is comparable to a ricotta.  You will see by my photo that it is fairly smooth. I typically use my magic bullet when making it which gives it a great texture but this time made it in the vitamix and it was super smooth immediately! Oops.  It still tasted great and was actually easier to spread when I used it in my lasagna.

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup blanched almonds, raw cashews or raw macadamia nuts
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt
  • 3 Tbs water
  • 2 Tbs extra -virgin olive oil
  • 4 tsp lemon juice

Directions:
  1. Place the nuts in a large bowl and fill with filtered water and a pinch of salt.  Cover and soak the almonds for 24 hours, cashews or macadamia nuts for 6 hours.
  2. Drain the nuts and rinse thoroughly, until the water runs clear.
  3. Place the nuts in a food processor or high speed blender with the remaining ingredients.
  4. Process until smooth and the mixture resembles ricotta cheese. Store in fridge for up to 5 days.

I found this recipe in Danielle Walkers first cookbook,  Against All Grain.


Comments

Popular Posts