What about pasta???




One of the hardest transitions I had to make with my diet was giving up traditional pasta.  I could eat pasta every single day! It was nice to see that most stores now carry a wide variety of gluten- free pastas.  We most often buy the brown rice pasta. My son loves it and never even noticed the difference between the gluten-free and regular wheat pasta once we made the change. But over time with many other foods I started to look at the paleo diet and realizing that the gluten-free pasta was still a grain and over-all not the best choice for my health. You will see from my blog that we follow a paleo diet about 90% of the time. Why not 100%?? Well, lets just say we have a severe weakness for chips and salsa! But we stay pretty true most of the time to eating no dairy, gluten, grains, or refined sugars. 
I started looking into buying a spiralizer.  I saw that you could make pasta out of almost any vegetable! I was pretty excited that I could stay true to a paleo diet and have pasta still! But all of the spiralizers I found were very large and quite frankly I didnt have room in my kitchen for 1 more toy! But a few weeks later I found a vegetti!

This great little tool can make pasta in minutes out of zucchini, yellow squash, carrots and even sweet potatoes.  Even better it is small and only costs about 15 dollars! You can order it through amazon or even find them at Bed Bath and Beyond and Walgreens.



Sweet Potato Noodles

Zucchini Noodles

It's a pretty simple tool that even my 8 year old enjoys using! I most often saute the noodles in olive or coconut oil but you can also boil them in water as you would a traditional noodle. Even better, they cook up much quicker and don't become mush once they cool.

Comments

  1. I have a spiralizer but have only made zucchini noodles so far. We have some sweet potatoes on hand--I should try using those. Have you tried any sauces on your sweet potato noodles? Did you just saute them, or boil them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Emily! Thanks for checking out the blog:) So far the zucchini noodles are the favorites in our house but on the sweet potatoes I did a simple cinnamon/butter sauce since I can tolerate butter. But I think the next time I make them I would try this recipe:
    http://detoxinista.com/2012/01/sweet-potato-noodles-with-roasted-red-pepper-cream-sauce/.
    Her recipes are always good so you can't go wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops forgot to tell you that all we did was saute them! It is much quicker!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts