Paleo Coconut Cream Pie


                                                                     
Don't be intimidated by this recipe! I wanted to make this one for some time but the many different layers made me a little nervous.  My brother's 40th birthday was quickly
approaching and I knew this would be a huge hit for him if I could pull it off.
So I decided to bite the bullet and I made two pies. I figured if it turned out great we would be fighting for those pieces with my family! Sure enough, it was every bit as good as we hoped. My brother jokes and calls me the Martha Stewart of paleo baking:) I wouldn't go that far since I was using someone else's recipe for this but I was happy to surprise him with a wonderful dessert for his special day. The only problem I had was not having the correct size pan so the pieces are a bit thin.  So I would recommend using the 7x5 pan to get a nice thicker slice of pie.


Ingredients

Crust:
  • 1/4 cup chopped pecans
  • 1/2 cup almond flour
  • 1/2 Tbs raw honey (or stevia)
  • 3 Tbs melted coconut oil
Chocolate Layer:
  • 6 Tbs chocolate chips ( I use Lilly's brand and they are sweetened with stevia)
  • 1 Tbs plus 1 tsp coconut milk (the thick part on top of the can)
Coconut Cream layer:
  • 1 can (13.5 oz) coconut milk, full fat
  • 1 large egg
  • 3 Tbs arrowroot powder
  • 3 Tbs raw honey (or stevia)
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup shredded coconut, unsweetened
Coconut Whipping Cream:
  • 1 can full fat coconut milk refrigerated overnight

Instructions

Crust:
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line a 7x5 baking pan with parchment paper
  2. In a large bowl, mix together the pecans, almond flour, coconut oil and honey.
  3. Press mixture into the bottom of the pan and bake for 10 min. Cool on a wire wrack
Chocolate Layer:
  1. Melt chocolate chips slowly in a double boiler
  2. Once melted stir in the coconut milk
  3. Spread the chocolate evenly over the cooled crust and refrigerate.
Coconut Cream Layer:
  1. Combine the coconut milk, egg, arrowroot powder and honey in a saucepan. Heat slowly over medium-low heat. Stir constantly until it thickens.
  2. Remove from stove. Allow to cool for 5 minutes. Stir in the shredded coconut and vanilla. Set aside to cool for another 20 minutes.
  3. Pour cooled custard over the chocolate and refrigerate until very firm.
Coconut Whipping Cream:
  1. Scoop out the solid coconut from the can into a large bowl, being careful not to mix with the water on the bottom of the can.
  2. Whip the coconut with an electric mixer until fluffy and spread it over the coconut cream layer.
  3. Sprinkle the top with toasted coconut.
  4. Enjoy!!!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts