Gluten-Free Banana Pancakes

When we first went gluten-free several years ago I failed more times at making pancakes than any other dish.  Every recipe came out thin and tasted disgusting.  I quickly realized it was the flours that I was using but my family was so patient as we tried time and time again.  I was ready to give up! Part of the problem was that our previous pancake recipe filled with dairy and gluten was pretty delicious! Matching that was going to be difficult but we finally figured it out.


I used King Arthur gluten free flour with my same old recipe that we had been using all of those years.  I couldn't believe how great they turned out. Nice and fluffy. I had been making it way more difficult than it needed to be!  Then I learned from my sister in law that you could substitute out the egg and replace it with a banana. Wow. Once we tried that it officially became our new winner. This recipe is very flexible and you can add blueberries or even chocolate chips for a different flavor.

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup gluten- free all purpose flour
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp stevia
  • 1/4 tsp sea salt
  • 1 beaten egg or mashed banana
  • 1 cup unsweetened almond or coconut milk
  • 2 Tbs oil
Directions:
  1. In a medium bowl stir together the dry ingredients. Make a well in the center and set aside.
  2. In another medium bowl mash the banana. Add the oil and milk and stir well.
  3. Add the wet mixture into the dry mix and stir well.
  4. For standard size pancakes, pour about 1/4 cup of batter onto a hot, lightly greased skillet or griddle.
  5. Cook over medium heat for about 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
  6. Serve warm. Makes about 8-10 standard size pancakes.

*The original recipe comes from the Betty Crocker Cookbook.  I made a few changes to make them dairy and refined sugar free also.


Comments

Popular Posts