Baked Pumpkin Spice Donuts

 One of the very first recipes that I wanted to try and perfect was the donut. My father was diagnosed with Celiac disease a couple of years ago and several times had mentioned how much he had missed eating donuts. Sitting around with his buddies at bible study and watching them eat those goodies that he had once been able to eat.  I could completely understand that feeling. I was a woman on a mission to find some great donut recipes and suprise my father with a gluten free donut that would help him forget the donuts of his past!
I had found an amazing woman by the name of Danielle Walker. She had a website called Against All Grain. Wow, talk about life changing! Not only was her health testimony unbelievable, but she had so many unique recipes that I had never seen before.  I immediately found her cookbook and got to work. I had a long list of items I wanted to try but the donut was definitely at the top.  I will say that these donuts are incredibly easy to make. Maybe a little too easy since we now make them a couple of times a month.  But my dad was very happy with these pumpkin donuts and I didn't even tell him besides being gluten free they were also dairy, refined sugar, and grain free!   

Ingredients:

  • 5 large eggs
  • 1/2 cup non-dairy milk
  • 1/2 cup pure maple syrup or raw honey
  • 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
  • 1/4 cup coconut oil
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 3/4 cup almond flour
  • 1/2 cup coconut flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp nutmeg
  • 1/2 tsp ginger
  • 1/4 tsp ground cloves
  • 1/4 tsp cardamom
  • 1/4 tsp sea salt
(can also substitute 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice for the spices listed above)

 Instructions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Oil/grease the insides of your donut pan very well. I find that palm shortening works best.
  2. Place the eggs,  milk, pumpkin, maple syrup, coconut oil and vanilla in bowl. Mix well.
  3. Add the dry ingredients then mix well again.
  4. Pour the batter into the pan, filling each cavity 2/3 of the way full and bake for 20 minutes. Let them cool for 10 minutes before removing the donuts from the pan.  
  5. Repeat with your leftover batter
The finished product with the cinnamon/sugar topping
For these donuts I created my own topping. I personally prefer the old school cider mill donuts over the frosted kind. But Danielle Walker has two different kinds of frosting that are very good on her website.


Ingredients:
  • 1/3 cup coconut sugar
  • 4-5 Tbs melted butter
  • 1 Tbs cinnamon
Instructions:
  1. Place the melted butter in a small bowl and the coconut sugar and cinnamon in a separate bowl.
  2. Dip the top of the donuts in the melted butter and then dip them in the cinnamon/sugar mixture.
  3. Place on cooling rack to dry. Once dry, they store best in the refrigerator for up to a week.



My adorable donut maker:) Oh, and yes that is a McDonald's cup on the counter...
 What can I say?
I have a weakness for unsweet iced tea!


Comments

Popular Posts