Healthy Baking flours

My husband can attest that I have wasted so much money trying to find the best flours to bake with.  In the beginning we tried many of the gluten free flour blends and most were disgusting.  It was confusing to get the correct ratio of flours. And why do I have to use more than 1 flour?  In the beginning I really wish there had been someone there to teach me about the different flours and which ones were the best for baking.  After sometime I had a girlfriend show me a blog that blew my mind. Chocolatecoveredkatie.com   This girl knows how to bake! Not only was she explaining things to me I had never heard, but she was also making so many of our favorite treats but in a much healthier way.  Finally, things started coming together and I wasn't pouring money down the drain!
I wanted to highlight some of my favorite paleo and gluten free flours to cook with so maybe I can help others avoid the many mistakes I made.  

* Coconut flour- made from grinding dehydrated coconut flakes. It doesn't have a strong coconut taste like most people think and the best part is that it typically only takes about 1/4 cup flour as opposed to 1 cup of wheat flour.  Sam's club sells a 5lb bag for about $7 dollars which is a fantastic deal!

* Blanched Almond flour- made from grinding almonds that have the skins removed.  The ratio is almost a 1:1 ratio when replacing with wheat flour. It is definitely the most expensive of the paleo flours and I typically buy it in bulk from a local health food store.

*Tapioca flour- made from a cassava tuber, which is a sticky root vegetable.  It is great to use in soups, or gravy as a thickener. Also combined with almond or coconut flour it helps create a good texture in baking.  It is pretty easy to find and I usually buy it at the local grocery store.

These are the three most common flours I am using to cook with.  I do occasionally use arrowroot flour, rice flour, and King Arthur gluten free blend.  There are many healthy flour options out there and great resources online to help find what is best for your family.



Comments

Popular Posts